A basic way to prepare beets is to roast them. Roasting beets will bring out their natural sweetness. Beets are a beautiful purple colour with a hearty, earthy taste. You can serve them as a side along with your meal or toss warm or cold atop your favourite salad.
Beets, 2 litre basket (as sold at Dentz Farm)
2 Tbsp cooking oil (eg. grapeseed, coconut)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Scrub beets to ensure all dirt has been removed.
- Using a paring knife, remove tops and roots. Also remove the darker, tougher skin around the “shoulder” of the beet (shown in photo).
- Cut beet lengthwise into quarters. Similar sized pieces will aid in cooking at the same rate. Larger beets may need to be cut into more than four pieces.
- Lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish with preferred cooking oil.
- Place beets into greased dish and drizzle with a few tablespoons cooking oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast at 375F in middle rack of oven for about 45 minutes or until you can pierce through with a fork.
- Serve hot as a side to your meal or serve warm or cold on top of your favourite salad.
Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days.